Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The New Year


With all of the things going on in the world it seems that none of these problems are capable of transcending this topic of conversation. What is your new years resolution? What is my new years resolution? The same as it always is, to not have a new years resolution. I live each day the same as the before it, to try to find a way to make a better life for myself.

It’s not about what you’re going to do this year, this month, this week, or even this day. It’s about what you’re going to do with your life. Definitely a task that is much easier to say than it is to do. I think the hardest thing in life is, knowing what you want to do and taking the steps to get there, but in the end it isn’t enough. That is why the only resolution that is really worth having in your life is to never give up.

I recently spent six months writing my first book. For the last six weeks I have been going through the process of trying to find a literary agent and a publisher to give me a chance. I know it often takes writers over a year to get someone to show interest in representing and publishing their book. I now know it is much harder to sell your book than it is write it.

I know that I might not succeed and I stress over it every day. I just try to draw peace from knowing that at least I’m trying. At least I am not just sitting idly and waiting for something great to come along. I understand that not everyone is going to have faith in me and not everyone is going to support me. Luckily I have never been the type to care too much about what other people think.

If you live your life trying to please everyone else you’re going to find yourself to be the only one that’s miserable. What is the point? Why would you go out of your way to make other people happy but not yourself? It must be the masochist inside that causes people to do that. I guess that sometimes the only thing that gives you joy, is knowing that at least you’re choosing to suffer.

So I encourage you to think outside the box. Don’t fret over what to do with your new year and try to focus on how you can change your life. It’s not all about failing or succeeding; it’s about trying, just keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment